- Mortgage Relief Guide. The National Consumer Law Center released a resource guide for obtaining mortgage relief following a disaster. The guide provides an overview, some essential resources, and details for the various forms of relief available to survivors.
- Foreclosure Moratorium Expanded. The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) announced a 60-day extension of a foreclosure moratorium for FHA-insured homeowners in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Lenders and servicers will suspend foreclosure actions until May 18, 2018. FHA has several other options and resources to help homeowners impacted by Hurricane Maria.
- Prescription Assistance Extended. A FEMA program that provides prescription assistance for uninsured disaster survivors has been extended through March 14 for survivors in the U.S. Virgin Islands. The program provides free 30-day replacements of certain drugs and medical supplies for eligible survivors.
- Florida Housing Fund Sweeps. Florida lawmakers are moving to sweep money from the state’s affordable housing trust fund in favor of increased spending in response to the recent school shooting. The Legislature had been advocating for providing much more funding for affordable housing, particularly after Hurricanes Irma and Maria tightened the already tight market. After the February 14 shooting in Parkland, Florida, however, lawmakers hope to increase school resource officers, child welfare case managers, mental health programs, and training for teachers who volunteer to carry guns in schools. Many Democrats have objected to sacrificing affordable housing, even if they support much of the other legislation.
- TSA Extension Requested. Texas Governor Abbott has requested an extension of the FEMA Transitional Shelter Assistance (TSA) program. The current deadline is March 12. FEMA has not yet granted or denied this request.
- Houston Tenant Rally. A group of tenants and advocates held a rally outside of Houston City Hall on February 27. Community members shared testimony about hazardous and subpar housing conditions and the impact Harvey had on their already poorly maintained housing. The rally received mixed reactions from City Council members. Houston area tenants are encouraged to share their stories using the hashtags #OutofOrder and #descompuesto.
Read previous Disaster Housing Recovery updates at: http://nlihc.org/issues/disaster